Tuesday, 27 May 2014
CINNAMON RUGELACH COOKIES
Easy Classic Cinnamon Rugelach Cookies
250gr reduced fat cream cheese at room temperature (not the fat free)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
icing sugar (optional for decoration)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Have parchment paper ready on two cookie sheets
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. When you are ready to fill
the dough (not before), melt the butter in a small bowl.
4. In a large mixing bowl mix the softened cream cheese with the butter at low to medium speed with
an electric mixer until combined and creamy. This should take about 2 minutes or so. Add the sugar
and salt, mix for another minute. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
5. Gradually add the flour until a very soft dough forms. This will take about 2 minutes.
6. Place in fridge for 2 hours.
7. Take the dough out of the fridge and divide into 4 balls.
8. On a very lightly floured surface roll each ball into 4 circles (about 1/8 inch thick and about 8-9
inches in diameter)
9. For each circle, dip a pastry brush with the melted butter and lightly brush over the circles. Sprinkle
the cinnamon sugar mixture over the melted butter.
10. Using a pizza cutter or knife cut each circle into 16 pie pieces.
11. Roll up each piece starting from the wide end. You can turn the ends in if you want them to be more
12. Repeat above step with every circle. You will have extra cinnamon sugar mixture that has fallen out
of the rolled cookies. You can take that and sprinkle over each cookie if you’d like.
13. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown (but not too dark). Place on cooling racks for a few
minutes and then remove the parchment paper from the cookie sheet and lay that on the cooling rack.