Saturday, 19 July 2014
TIPS FOR COOKIES AND BISCUITS
Best Food Page Tips for Cookies and Biscuits
1. Always use good quality ingredients as you want the tastiest cookies to reward your efforts
2. Always use unsalted butter and nuts, large-size eggs, and pure extracts of vanilla or almond - not fake substitutes
3. Always measure the ingredients accurately and square off the teaspoons and tablespoons
4. Do not sift the floor unless the recipe calls for it an don't squeeze the flour down in the measuring cups
5. Use parchment paper for baking without sticking and easy clean-up, unless you have non-stick baking dishes. Otherwise grease with butter or spry-on oil. Do not use vegetable oil as it tends to burn and makes the dishes hard to clean. Or you can use reusable Silicone Baking Mats. Applying flour to cookie sheet after it is greased, will stop the mixture spread out as much when baking.
6. For cut-out cookies, cool the dough down before cutting it out. Remove from the fridge and allow it to soften a little at room temperature for about 10 minutes before rolling out - this means you are always working with the same consistency.
7. Modify the baking times to get the texture you want in the finished cookies. For most recipes leaving them slightly underdone makes chewier cookies; baking for longer time makes them crunchy. Having a thicker mix and making higher mixture balls makes thicker cookies which tend to be chewy.
8. Cool the cookies down completely before icing.9.
9. Cookie Sheets with very low sides helps the cookies to bake quickly and evenly. You can use a pizza dish.