HOMEMADE BAKED BEANS ON TOAST:
1 t olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 t cumin
400 g chopped tomatoes
1 t brown sugar
1 x 400 g canned white beans, rinsed
1 small handful parsley leaves, chopped (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and fry the onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes, or until soft.
2. Add the cumin and continue to cook for another minute.
3. Add the tomatoes (with the juice) and sugar; sqaush the tomatoes in the pan using a fork.
4. Add the beans, bring to a boil, the lower the temperature and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
5. Stir the parsley through the mixture and serve on wholewheat toast.
Place a slice of wholewheat bread on a jaffle iron ( but make sure the side of the slice on die iron is thinly spread with butter/margarine, ladle 2-4 tablespoons of your home-made beans on top, then make a hole in the middle of the beans and break a small egg into it. Cover the lot with another slce of bread (make sure the butterside is on the outside), and close the iron and toast in the jaffle iron until the bread is golden on both sides. At this point the egg should be cooked but still runny.