Shredded cabbage pickled in vinegar spiked with pineapple juice blossoms into a bright, refreshing, long-lasting alternative to mayonnaise based coleslaw.
- 1 small green cabbage (about 2-1/2 lb.), cored and thinly sliced (9 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 7/8 oz. kosher salt (2 Tbs. Diamond Crystal or 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. Morton)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup canned or fresh pineapple juice
- 1 cup small-diced fresh pineapple
Using your hands, wring out as much moisture from the mixture as you can, and transfer to a large, dry bowl.
Add the vinegar and juice and toss well. If not serving immediately, place the slaw in three 1-quart jars or other sealable nonreactive containers and refrigerate.
Add the pineapple just before serving.
Make Ahead Tips
The coleslaw can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 10 days. Stir in the pineapple just before serving.**.finecooking.com*